Postfach 17 71
Address for visitors
Merzhauser Straße 173
by public transport
If arriving by train at the main station ("Hauptbahnhof"), take the tram ("Stadtbahn"), line 3 towards "Vauban". All trams leave from the large bridge ("Stadtbahnbrücke") crossing the rail tracks at the southern end of the platforms at the main train station. After about 15 minutes, you will reach the stop named "Paula-Modersohn-Platz". Alight here, cross Merzhauser Strasse and walk back in the direction from which the tram was coming for about 200 m. The Institute's offices are located at number 173 Merzhauser Strasse, in the front end of the "Sonnenschiff" building.
If travelling by car, take the A5 and leave the motorway at the Freiburg-Mitte exit. Take the B31a road towards Freiburg city centre (Stadtmitte). Leave the B31a at the Hauptbahnhof exit and keep to the left, following the signs for Merzhausen. Immediately after crossing Basler Strasse, you will be on Merzhauser Strasse. Follow this road for about 2 km. The Institute's offices are located on the left-hand side at number 173 Merzhauser Strasse, in the front end of the "Sonnenschiff" building.
When taking the train, get off at Darmstadt main station (Hauptbahnhof); the Institute is about five minutes’ walk away. Leave the station through the eastern entrance (Main) and go straight ahead along Mornewegstrasse (past the Kinopolis-cinema). After approx. 150 metres turn right into pedestrian path, following signs to Medi-Sport. Continue along the pedestrian path and enter the third building entrance before the car park (no. 95). The Oeko-Institut office is on the 5th floor.
Coming from the north or south (A5 from Frankfurt / Basel, Heidelberg, Stuttgart; A67 from Mannheim / Wiesbaden): take the Darmstadt exit at the “Darmstädter Kreuz” junction and follow the signs for the city centre (“Innenstadt”) on the B26 (Rheinstrasse). Continue straight through two big intersections. At the third light (Hindenburgstraße) make a U-turn. Return 250 metres along Rheinstrasse in the right lane towards the motorway. At the Parking-sign Oeko-Institut sign before the next major intersection, turn right into the car park. Parking costs 2.50 euros. The Oeko-Institut office is on the 5th floor of the building complex on the right.
By over ground commuter train (“S-Bahn”)
- From the central station (Hauptbahnhof), take the S-Bahn (lines S3, S5, S7, S9) in the direction of Ostkreuz and alight at Jannowitzbrücke station.
- Take the western exit which lies south to the direction of travel (“Ausgang Brückenstraße”).
- Cross over the intersection on the right side of the central station.
- Walk straight ahead, and then turn left.
- Cross under the S-Bahn railway bridge.
- The Schicklerhaus is the large building on your right in the cul-de-sac Schicklerstraße, which runs parallel to Stralauer Straße.
By the underground (“U-Bahn”)
- Coming from the north, take the U8 in the direction of Hermannstraße, coming from the south, the U8 in the direction of Wittenau to “Jannowitzbrücke” station.
- Leave the station through the “Schicklerstraße, Stralauer Straße” exit.
- Walk straight ahead and cross under the S-Bahn railway bridge to the Schicklerhaus (right side).
- Take the U2 in the direction of Pankow or Ruhleben, alight at the Klosterstraße station.
- Take the Stralauer Straße exit and walk straight on for 50 meters until you reach the crossroads.
- Turn left into Stralauer Straße and follow the street.
- The Schicklerhaus appears on your left side.
Arrivals from the northern / north-western direction:
- Reach the city through the exit “Abfahrt 114 Berlin-Zentrum/Berlin-Pankow” from the A10.
- Ride through Prenzlauer Allee in the direction of the city center / Pankow.
- Stay on Prenzlauer Allee for approx. six kilometers. At the Prenzlauer Allee/ Mollstraße crossroads, take left into Mollstraße
- At the next big intersection take right into Otto-Braun-Straße.
- Cross over the Karl-Marx-Allee and turn left into Alexanderstraße before reaching the Alexa shopping center (large red sandstone building).
- Ride through the third intersecting street on the right hand side until you reach the turning area. Schicklerhaus is straight in front of you.
Arrivals from the northern / north-western direction:
- Take the exit “Abfahrt 16-Dreieck-Nuthetal” from the A10 or follow the A9 (if you´re coming from Leipzig) into the A115 in the direction of “Berlin-Zentrum/ Berlin-Zehlendorf/ Potsdam-Zentrum”.
- Take the exit A100 in the direction of the Tempelhof airport (Flughafen Tempelhof) and leave it at the Tempelhofer Damm exit.
- Take left into Tempelhofer Damm and ride into the town, past the former airport Tempelhof on your right side.
- After approx. three kilometers turn right (before the canal) into Tempelhofer Ufer (you see the over ground railway on your left).
- Continue along this road for approx. a kilometer until you reach Prinzenstraße, in which you turn left into.
- Go over the roundabout at Moritzplatz, continuing straight ahead along the Heinrich-Heine-Straße.
- Drive over the Spree river at Jannowitzbrücke and at the first crossing, turn left into the Stralauer Straße.
- Before the overhead railway bridge, turn right into Dircksenstraße and then left into Schicklerstraße.
- Drive the stress to the end. Schicklerhaus is now straight in front of you.
From Tegel airport
- From the airport, take the bus “TXL” in the direction of Alexanderplatz.
- Alight at the central train station (Hauptbahnhof).
- From here, follow the directions given in “by over ground commuter train (“S-Bahn”)”.
From Schönefeld Airport
- Take the “S-Bahn” (line S9) in the direction of S+U Pankow.
- At the S-station Ostkreuz, take the “S-Bahn” (lines S7, S75, S5) in the direction of Hauptbahnhof.
- Alight at “Jannowitzbrücke”.
- Take the exit at the end of the platform which lies in the direction of travel (“Ausgang Brückenstraße”).
- Cross the intersection on the right side of the station, walk straight ahead and turn left.
- Go straight ahead along Straulauer Straße, passing under the S-Bahn railway bridge.
- Schicklerhaus is the large building on your right in the little cul-de-sac Schicklerstraße, which runs parallel to Stralauer Straße station.