Preparatory study for the Ecodesign Working Plan 2020-2024
The preparatory study launched by the European Commission will inform and assist the Commission in preparing the Ecodesign and Energy Labelling Working Plan 2020-2024 as part of the implementation of the Ecodesign Directive 2009/125/EC and Energy Labelling Regulation (EU) 2017/1369. The following tasks will be established:
- Developing the approach for identification and prioritisation of products for the working plan with a view to better take into account environmental impacts in all life-cycle stages and circular economy aspects such as products durability, reparability, recyclability and/or recycled content.
- Analysing the product groups and horizontal initiatives regarding sales, stock, resource consumption, improvement potential, environmental impacts, regulatory coverage and feasibility, market surveillance impact and industrial competitiveness.
- Informing and assisting the European Commission in its decision-making process to compile the Ecodesign and Energy Labelling Working Plan 2020-2024.
The study is built on a strong and transparent evidence base derived from scrutinising regulations and available studies, together with a thorough consultation process of relevant stakeholders.
As part of the study, Öko-Institut has prepared short studies on the following horizontal topics and initiatives:
- Durability and reparability (material efficiency)
- Firmware and software
- Ecological profile according to Annex I, Part 3 of the Ecodesign Directive 2009/125/EC
- Scarce and ecologically critical raw materials
- Innovative IT solutions facilitating market surveillance authorities and standard setting